Nutrition 101: All the basics for healthy eating!
Eat to lose! Eating several smaller meals throughout the day keeps the body nourished with a continual in flux of nutrients. Energy levels remain high and the brain alert due to the consistent fueling of the body. Eating the right foods can actually increase the metabolism! Changing your body is 20-30% what you do and 70-80% what you eat!
Nutrition & Diet Basics:
- Eat Five to Seven “meals” per day (ie-3-4 meals plus 2-4 snacks)
- Eat every 2-4 hours (do not go more than 5 hours without something!)
- Meal frequency and food amounts will vary depending on fitness goal and history
- Meals should be combinations of protein, carbs and fibrous carbs
- Protein examples are egg whites, chicken, fish, lean beef
- Carb examples are starches and grains such as oatmeal, rice, potatoes
- Fibrous carbs are mostly green vegetables
- Water intake must be high 2.5-3.0 liters
See Fitness Makeover Part 3: Nutrition for full details on writing your own meal plan, which foods to choose for fat loss and more!