Can meatloaf be healthy? Sure can! You can substitute chicken or lean beef instead of turkey. Add a side dish of steamed veggies or a green salad and you have a complete meal! Enjoy and let us know on the forum how you used the recipe!
Homestyle Meat Loaf
1 1?2 lbs. lean ground turkey
1 chopped onion
4 egg whites
1 c salsa
3?4 oats, uncooked
1 pkg. dry vegetable soup mix
1?4 tsp ground black pepper
1?2 c ketchup
6 portions red potatoes
2 lbs. green beans
3?4 c skim milk
2 tbsp Butter Buds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In large mixing bowl, combine turkey, onion, egg whites, salsa, oats, soup mix, and pepper. Press mixture into 9” x 5” loaf pan and spread ketchup over top. Bake in oven until no longer pink in the center – about 60 minutes
3. About 25 minutes after putting the meatloaf in the oven, cut potatoes into 1” chunks. Place in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until tender – about 20 minutes
4. Cut stems off green beans and place in a large saucepan with 1” of water. Heat to boiling over high heat. Then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 6-
8 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain
5. Remove meatloaf from oven and let sit 5 minutes before slicing.
6. Drain potatoes and return to pan. Mash while adding skim milk a little at a time. Add butter buds and mash vigorously until light and fluffy.